HISTORY, ACCREDITATION, and facility
Commonwealth Academy has seen dramatic growth on numerous fronts throughout its 20-year history as a leading independent school in the Washington Metro area.
Founded in 1997, Commonwealth Academy opened with a handful of High School students.
By 1998 our school had grown to serve Middle and High School students.
In 2000, the first student graduated from Commonwealth Academy.
In 2002, C/A moved to its current location at 1321 Leslie Avenue in the Del Ray section of Alexandria.
In 2003, Commonwealth Academy achieved full accreditation by Virginia Association of Independent Schools, a distinction that we have maintained.
In 2010, C/A opened a Lower School to serve students in Grades 3-5.
In 2012, C/A launched the Diploma Certificate Program, which gives High School students the opportunity to pursue a passion or potential college major in more depth.
In 2014, we opened The Susan J. Johnson Arts and Athletic Center, which provides additional space for Physical Education classes, Theatre, and school community meetings.
C/A is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS) and licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our school building is 12,150 square feet with 26 classrooms, a MacLab Media Center and a MakerSpace. Students also enjoy use of a second 4,500 square foot building, our Arts and Athletic Center, for P.E. C/A’s entire campus is wireless and laptops, iPads, tablets, Kindles, and Chromebooks are provided to students on a 1:1 basis for use in the classroom. Assistive technology is available on all school computers. Our academic classrooms feature SMARTBoards® or Promethean Boards to enhance focus, comprehension, and interactivity.