Commonwealth Academy is a college preparatory school that embraces students of average to gifted ability who have ADHD, executive functioning challenges, and mild learning differences. In an inclusive caring community, we empower our students to thrive and discover their path to excellence with small class sizes and differentiated instruction.
Commonwealth Academy is a national leader in differentiated instruction for average to gifted students with ADHD, executive functioning challenges, and mild learning differences. Through the deployment of best practices in education and the cultivation of strong relationships in an atmosphere of respect and joyful seriousness of purpose, we inspire excellence, allow students to fully explore their intellectual passion, and foster the personal growth needed to allow our students to excel in college and beyond.
1. WE BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE DESERVES TO FEEL VALUED, SAFE, AND RESPECTED.
2. WE BELIEVE THAT IN A CARING AND RESPONSIVE ENVIRONMENT, OUR STUDENTS CAN THRIVE AND ACHIEVE ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE.
3. WE BELIEVE THAT RESPECT, HONOR, TRUST, AND ACTIVE ENGAGEMENT ARE FUNDAMENTAL.
4. WE BELIEVE THAT LEARNING SHOULD BE MEANINGFUL AND AUTHENTIC.
5. WE BELIEVE IN APPRECIATING AND HONORING MULTIPLE PERSPECTIVES AND CULTURES.
6. WE BELIEVE IN SERVING AND GIVING BACK TO THE GREATER COMMUNITY.
7. WE BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF STRONG PARTNERSHIPS WITH FAMILIES.
As the school grows over time, facilities will need to reflect that growth and adapt to the changing needs of the students and program.
- Expand enrollment as appropriate to fit present facilities comfortably.
- Consider program needs and continue to adapt/build to serve those needs.
- Continue to evaluate facility needs as the school contemplates its next location.
Commonwealth Academy has been built on understanding and applying best thinking and best practices in the field. C/A recognizes that students’ and families’ needs are constantly changing. C/A also understands that brain research continues to inform teaching and learning, which then impacts how the school delivers a program to serve its students.
- Commonwealth Academy will invest further in the professional development and training of its faculty and staff to deliver an outstanding program for children with executive function challenges.
- Commonwealth Academy will grow and enhance its programming outside of regular school hours – before and after school and summer in particular.
- Commonwealth Academy will foster partnerships with other institutions – higher ed, other schools with similar programs, and with businesses – such that its students will have exposure to resources and experiences beyond the walls of the school.
Commonwealth Academy understands the importance of enrollment as a source of financing program excellence. To that end, C/A will focus on marketing and communication about the uniqueness of the school and community as a pathway to sustainable enrollment.
- Commonwealth Academy will focus further efforts on building a strong culture of philanthropy not only with its present families but with alumni and their families and with members of the wider community.
- As the school’s reputation continues to grow in the area of executive function, C/A will build opportunities to share its knowledge with other professionals by creating training programs.
- Commonwealth Academy will look for opportunities to grow as a good neighbor. In doing so, it will build opportunities to create services for the wider community.
An involved parent community is essential to the success of the students at the school. Further, a diverse community of families and faculty allow students to grow a deeper respect and understanding of differences and to be prepared to succeed in the broader world outside C/A.
- Commonwealth Academy will expand its focus on health and wellness for students and faculty/staff alike.
- Commonwealth Academy will expand its programming for the adults in the community and look for ways to bring programs to families rather than families to programs.
- Commonwealth Academy will continue to focus on and strengthen its commitment to diversity in hiring and in recruiting families to the community.